This article was originally posted on June 21, 2007.
A recent research brief from Forrester Research provides some very rich analysis on:
- Why spreadsheets remain a valuable BI tool in enterprises (e.g., flexibility, ease of use, etc.)
- Some of the key challenge to the use of spreadsheets in this role (security, integrity, etc.)
- How IT can facilitate the effective use of spreadsheets, instead of fighting them (the battle is over — the spreadsheets won)
- How Microsoft is positioned relative to use of spreadsheets as BI tools
- What alternative spreadsheet tools (e.g., web-based, centrally managed spreadsheets — Google Apps says hi) are on enterprise radar screens
FYI — The term “Excel Web Services” was only tangentially mentioned, and Forrester’s prognosis for the pace of adoption of such tools is not rosy.
Give it a read — quite enlightening!
Originally published at https://mikegil.typepad.com.